On Monday, July 10, the Malibu City Council will give final consideration to an ordinance that could allow City Hall to require property owners – homeowners, restaurants, commercial buildings, multifamily buildings, schools, places of worship and mobile home parks — to replace their septic system with a more modern system (potentially costing from $60,000 to $250,000) if they pump more than twice in any six months.
Elements of Draft Ordinance No. 421:
- Requires all property owners to have or get a permit if they have pumped their Onsite Water Treatment System (OWTS) more than two times during any 180-day period.
- If a new or updated permit is required, the application must be submitted within 10 days. The application would include a physical inspection of the OWTS by the City.
- The permit must be obtained within 30 days. This means hiring an engineer, creating plans, conducting geological and other environmental surveys, submitting plans for City approval and commencing installation if the plans are approved, all within 30 days of written notice.
- This ordinance could require any homeowner, property owner or business owner in the City to submit to physical inspections of their property by the City twice a year and any such inspection could result in a 30-day compliance window – with compliance costing up to $250,000 or more!
HERE ARE THREE WAYS YOU CAN HELP FLUSH THE SEPTIC ORDINANCE:
1) Please email the members of the City Council and urge them to vote NO on the Septic Ordinance:
Mayor Skylar Peak firstname.lastname@example.org
Mayor Pro Tem Rick Mullen email@example.com
Councilmember Lou La Monte firstname.lastname@example.org
Councilmember Laura Rosenthal email@example.com
Councilmember Jefferson Wagner firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Use social media to alert your friends and neighbors about proposed ordinance using the hashtag: #FlushTheSepticOrdinance. Tweet the Councilmembers as well!
@Skylar_Peak @RickMullen90265 @lamonte4malibu @Laura4Malibu
3) Please attend the City Council Meeting on Monday, July 10 at 6:30 p.m. and make your voice heard during Public Comments on Agenda Item 3.A.1. Malibu City Hall – Council Chambers, 23825 Stuart Ranch Road.
You can read the Staff Report and Proposed Ordinance HERE.