TITLE: Executive Director
The Apartment Association of Greater Los Angeles (AAGLA) is Southern California’s leading advocate for affordable quality rental housing and for property owners’ rights.
AAGLA’s mission is to serve the interests of multifamily owners, managers, developers and suppliers with services and activities to maintain a high level of professionalism in the multifamily housing industry. AAGLA directly advocates for the rental housing industry locally in the city, county, state and federal government to better serve the rental housing needs of the public in a just and fair manner. Since its founding in 1917 through today, AAGLA has provided the opportunity for members to meet regularly with other rental property owners to share experiences of common problems and possible solutions learned from fellow professionals.
The Executive Director is the chief executive officer of AAGLA, responsible for its overall successful operation and performance. All activities of the Association shall be carried out under the leadership and direction of the Executive Director who shall be responsible to the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors. The Executive Director, in consultation with the Board, is charged with setting the strategic direction of the Association and for overseeing the daily operations to ensure AAGLA achieves its strategic and financial objectives.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Direct the development and implementation of a strategic framework and business plan and develop annual action plans and metrics to ensure continued relevance of existing programs and services; explore new services and programs to serve the membership and develop new revenue sources; ensure AAGLA’s programs are consistent with the highest professional standards;
- Work with the staff, Board and external partners to grow membership and any new revenue sources necessary to support AAGLA operations and programs and to ensure the overall financial health of the organization in the future;
- Supervise, mentor, motivate, assist and evaluate qualified staff to carry out the programs of AAGLA; make recommendations to the Executive Committee for approval of compensation, benefits and working conditions;
- Consult regularly with the President, Executive Committee and Board, individually and collectively. Keep the Executive Committee and the Board informed on all matters requiring action and provide them with sufficient information so they can make informed decisions;
- Direct, prepare and present the proposed annual budget and monthly financial reports to the Finance Committee and the Board; and
- Serve as the spokesperson for AAGLA, particularly to membership, the media, with affiliated organizations and at events; advocate on behalf of AAGLA.
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS DESIRED:
The leading candidate will be a highly organized, politically astute, culturally sensitive, and self-motivated individual. Strategic thinking and a business orientation must be combined with vision and ambition. He/She should also be a revenue enhancer and relationship builder with strong marketing skills. The Executive Director should have the ability to service the current needs of membership while also identifying trends and issues of significance to their needs in the future. The successful candidate will create harmonious relationships, develop good rapport and be a big picture thinker who is also comfortable as a hands-on manager and enabler of others. He/She should be an open, confident and communicative professional who enjoys exploring new ideas. Exceptional written and oral communication skills are important. Good listening skills are equally important. The Executive Director should excel at setting priorities and have the ability to deal with multiple tasks and functions simultaneously. The Executive Director should be a model of integrity and fairness and have high ethical standards.
CAREER PATH LEADING TO THIS POSITION:
The Executive Director will have at least 8 to 10 years of relevant senior level leadership experience. Demonstrated successful experience and comfort in all or most of the areas of staff management, marketing, board relations, government and external relations is essential. The ideal candidate will be a skilled communicator who has shown success in building and growing an organization and has experience leading an organization in transition. He/She will have a good understanding of effective fiscal management and administration, and will demonstrate the capacity to build widespread support for an organization through collaborative efforts with partners, allies and other stakeholders. Experience working with a board of directors or serving on a board will be highly valued. It is preferred that candidates have experience in or direct knowledge of the real estate or brokerage industry.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience; a benefits package will be included.
If you are interested in applying for this position, Click Here to submit your credentials.