Apartment Fire Started by Fish Left Cooking on Stove


Apartment Fire Started by Fish Left Cooking on Stove

2018-12-10T08:31:15-07:00December 10th, 2018|Advocacy, Local Updates|

An unattended stove started a blaze that destroyed an apartment and took nearly two hours to extinguish, according to the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety.

The fire occurred in the early morning of Saturday, Dec. 8 at an apartment complex on Inverness Lane, according to a news release issued by the department. No one was injured in the fire, but it did cause a significant amount of damage and the apartment complex was evacuated.

Police and fire units were dispatched Saturday morning to the 2300 block of Inverness Lane on a report of an apartment fire. Upon arrival, public safety officials found the entire first floor engulfed in flames.

A woman renting the two-story apartment told investigators that she was frying fish and briefly went upstairs. While on the second floor, smoke detectors in the apartment alerted the woman to something burning on the first floor.

When she returned to the first floor, the woman found her food – and her kitchen – overwhelmed by smoke and flames.

The release ends with a note from Kalamazoo public safety officials reminding residents to maintain working fire extinguishers and smoke detectors on each level of their homes.

Click here to continue reading.

Leave A Comment